I usually look at Buddhist images more as art than as objects for devotion - not that I decry the latter, it's just the way I am "wired". In particular large Kannon (観音) statues appearing over hilltops usually leave me cold - I'm thinking of a train ride to Kanazawa from Kyoto.I was taken therefore by this image: a monk dwarfed by a huge Kannon statue. Perhaps that is what I was missing a sense of scale. Where this is I do not know - I need to use the "rikaichan" Firefox plugin to read the Japanese. The image is from the Sept. 3rd entry in the blog of Rev. Kameno of Teisho-in, Yokohama. Even not reading Japanese, it is an interesting site, and it's been a long-standing wish to visit the temple on a trip to Tokyo. There are views of the temple grounds from several web cameras and one (cam 3) can be remotely steered to look at the Koi!
No comments:
Post a Comment