Saturday, June 03, 2006

Airport Training

LHRAirports are good places for training and trying to hold on to that still centre. Indeed you have little choice. I have never enjoyed the departure process, and the thought of the future Airbus 380 with two decks fills me with dread. As Singapore Airlines takes delivery later this year, it is possible that I will put this foreboding to the test. Everything about airports seems designed to induce stress, an extreme version of a consumer culture distilled into a small space, devoid of anything calming and natural. Amsterdam's Schiphol has a meditation centre, and I'm sure many would welcome similar quiet oases, no talking, no mobile phones, peaceful lighting, calm. A friend used to find obscure stair wells in distant parts of the airport, and sit on the steps, but these days you are as likely to be cautioned or worse. So, I will make my own calmness.

It has been a graceful ending to the week, most things "resolved" (fine word). What isn't can wait. Bag packed, checked-in on-line, laptop backed-up, keys disbursed, taxi ordered.

Many small things have helped this journey, most unremarked. That includes several blogs whose authors have a lightness of touch I have yet to achieve. "Teaching without teaching". I thank you all.

If there are mountains, I look at mountains;
On rainy days I listen to the rain.
Spring, summer, autumn, winter.
Tomorrow too will be good.
Tonight too is good.

Yama areba yama o miru
ame no hi ame o kiku
haru natsu aki fuyu
ashita mo yoroshi
yūbe mo yoroshi


From "Mountain Tasting" Haiku by Santoka Taneda, translated by John Stevens, Weatherhill

1 comment:

Mugo said...

Dear Walter,

You must be in the air, or at Heathrow, as I write. I'll be transfering merit in your direction as you re-locate, so much better than 'move'.

It does seem to be a time when the mountains are moving, yet remaining rooted at the same time. I don't think one has to appear calm or peaceful to be rooted.

Roots go deep, trust the roots when the wind blows and the engins roar. Trust the roots will hold you to the Eternal heart!

That could be a poem couldn't it!

Please write lots about Singapore, and post lots of your fantastic photos too.

As you know I am preparing myself for the unknown at the end of this month. Less the unknown and more a matter of which of the many places do I choose to go to on my way to Berkeley in mid August. I'll be meeting the head of our Order off a plane from the UK and heading up to Shasta Abbey for a month. Then I fly back to the UK 19th May.

'Flying to-night', hope the films are ones you can watch with happyness.