Thursday, June 15, 2006

Passing thoughts

From today's FT: shares in VeraSun Energy Corporation, the second largest ethanol producer in the US, soared by 30% on their listing in New York. Shares in ADM, the largest US ethanol producer have risen by 85% in the past year.

Are we collectively mad? The idea of using cultivatable land to produce fuel for cars makes no sense - morally, scientifically or economically. Even if those without food were fed, it would still make no sense.

An hour in one of SingTel's shops tonight, and I will have a phoneline, broadband access and a number in a week's time. I move at the weekend.

Reverend Master Mugo of Moving Mountains is also moving: my thoughts are with you.

1 comment:

Mugo said...

Thanks Walter for your thoughts. It has been a time for dealing with banking business these past days and I have to say it has gone smoothly.

When I look objectively, everything that needs to be done has happened with perfect timing.

Hope your move goes well. I've practically moved all the furnature out of the prory now so it has an empty feel already.