Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Science for communication

Tonight a Japanese colleague flew in, to work with me as a Visiting Professor for three months. This was his first trip outside Japan, and I'm pleased to be the means of achieving that. But, neither of us are sure how we will communicate. As a scientist he reads English with some effort, but speaking English will be tough. My Japanese is equally primitive and most of my lessons are forgotten. But I am saved by two things: first, science is a universal language believe it or not, and second, a very interesting student has joined me for a few months to do his final year project. He speaks some basic Japanese, and is already brushing up what he knows. He is a young man of unusual calm and maturity, most likely acquired (or enhanced) by his love of back-packing alone through SE-Asia. Last year he was in Tibet, well off the beaten trail, seeing one car a day at times, finding accommodation in private dwellings. After his exams and before joining me, he took two weeks in Cambodia and Vietnam. I'm looking forward to this, however it evolves - two very good (in the human sense) people.

I often feel my posts should end with the sound of a small bell or gong - not for their content, but that it ends a short meditation.

No comments: