Thursday, January 11, 2007

USB memory sticks

Sooner or later it was bound to happen! I have lost or mislaid a USB memory stick, which although it contained nothing important, does serve as a reminder that you can lose a lot of data in this way. I always copy from disc to USB, so fortunately no data is irretrievably lost. USB sticks can be encrypted, but there are always more urgent things to do. TrueCrypt may be what I need - it's Open Source too! I read a detailed "how-to" description recently, but where? In a perverse way it is good timing, as I was planning to move a lot onto a large capacity USB memory stick for travelling. So password protection at the very least, and encryption even better!

How complicated we can make our lives. A pen and a notebook used to be enough.

1 comment:

Mugo said...

Gosh, you have been busy Walter. Only today I had heard about the ethanol plants from a friend in Reading, Berks. Sounds like you are getting ready for a trip. Take care up there!

Oh, and thanks for leaving a message on 'Mountains'. Try try try again. Glad it worked in the end. I'm getting the hang of New Blogger and what I enter where.