Thursday, June 08, 2006

Wednesday, I think.

They don't hang around here! Work permit collected, bank account opened, metro-card bought and loaded, twelve apartments visited, one selected, lease being drawn-up, two candidates interviewed for my new team. I think it is only Wednesday! The jet-lag is fading and I feel almost human today. A vegetarian Indian restaurant is nearby which I suspect will become a regular haunt. Hot and humid, what did I expect!

Update: took another look at the apartment before signing, and noticed a lot that would need attention. Decided to hold off, and revisit some, now having a better idea of what to look for.

3 comments:

michael.offworld said...

Hi Walter. I connected to your blog through Rev. Mugo. I'm curious, what kind of work do you do that allows you to travel to Asia?

Best regards,
Michael

walter said...

Hi Michael,
I'm a scientist continually amazed and humbled by everything. There was a mathematician, Paul Erdos who was said to have no permanent home. He would turn up with his suitacse at a friends to do some mathematics for a week or two (the spouses were not always too impressed), and then move on. I'm not that extreme, but the language of science is universal, so anywhere is home. If you ever sample SE Asia, Singapore is a reasonable start, very international and English is widely spoken. Don't expect gongs and incense, the pace is intense.

michael.offworld said...

I'd love to travel Asia. My angle would be language and communication. I'm presently working with a client to help her modify her accent (think Henry Higgins). I feel like I'm traveling to her home-country in a virtual way as we discuss the differences between our two languages and discover ways to help her sound more Canadian.

I'll be traveling to Singapore through your blog now. Thanks.