Last weekend I bought a book of poems "After the Fire" by Boey Kim Cheng, a poet from Singapore, now in Newcastle, NSW, Australia. Still reading it, but very moving and resonant - not the right words, but it will have to do for now.
From "Bear":
...
I remember my childhood bear;
it was coarser fur, but like hers
and most other bears, China-made.
My father won it shooting bottles
at a booth in Great or Happy World,
those fairs of dizzy rides and shows
that lasted the whole of your childhood
and have exited into the country's past.
I sat it, walked it, bedded and hugged
it like a raft in the stormy winds
of my parents' quarrels. When
my father left, Bear held faint promise
that he would come back,
and be sensible like Bear.
...
"After the Fire" by Boey Kim Cheng, New and Selected Poems, published by Firstfruits Publications, Singapore, ISBN 981-05-5873-2
No comments:
Post a Comment