Saturday, October 21, 2006

Shaded reporting

I read the on-line Guardian with amusement: it is too easy to see why it remains the most popular broadsheet in Universities! I can now only read Simon Hoggart and Polly Toynbee, the rest reminds me too much of academic sandals and corduroy orthodoxy.

Overnight I observed with increasing incredulity how one story evolved. The case of the veil (niqab) now rocking the British nation: first the headline read "teacher wins veil case" (curious I thought as she had lost three of the four actions), then it shifted to "teacher loses veil case" (closer I thought), now it is a sub-story to David Cameron's pronouncements on not making pronouncements, with the lost actions not mentioned at all.

I expect a slant from the Guardian, but the evolution of this short story over 24 hours is closer to taking a position.

Why can we not report those many positive things that happen each day instead of this relentless aggression and cynicism: responsibilities to each other as well as rights, care and compassion that might just lift us a bit?

Some things the Singaporeans have got right.

No comments: