Coming home in a taxi I had to tell the driver I was deaf as, from his puzzled expression in the rear-view mirror, my guessed responses to his conversation were obviously off the mark. Then I noticed his hearing aid so he shouted more and I improved my guessing, and we had a fine conversation about deafness for the rest of the journey. Like mine, his appears to be familial. I gave up with the hearing aid fearing the sharp cracks and distorted racket more, but he assures me things have got better with digital technology. But it's becoming a serious handicap to my work, even talking in small groups, so I need to do something.
Sometimes you get help in strange ways. Thanks.
1 comment:
Good to see you back at it again. It's encouraging.
Autumn is here in Northumberland, stop by some time why not. Yes, my North American turn of phrase is still with me.
Post a Comment